Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I Break for Iguanas


I was driving down College Rd today and an Iguana began to run across the street. He was about ½ way, saw another automobile coming towards us and turned around running back in front of my car! I slammed on the breaks. As I calmed down and headed back to my office I wondered about this. I would die if I ever hit a cat, a dog, a chicken or raccoon but I realized I would not mind too much if I ran over an Iguana. I would not try to run over one, but I think that they are pretty high on the list of desirable road kill.
I had nothing against these reptiles until they took over South Florida and the Lower Keys. It's like cruise ships; some are ok, but you don't want the harbor thick with them. Iguanas are more fun to look at in a zoo then lounging at my pool in between servings of Hibiscus (they prefer red). We have so many because they were bought as pets and then the owners decided they did not want them. Duh, they are scaly cold blooded animals with beady eyes, sharp claws and rows of horns. They grow up to 6 feet long and have to be kept under heat lamps in captivity. I forgot to mention that the little ones eat the bigger ones dung so they can get the bacteria needed to digest plants. If I was dumb enough to get one I would be even dumber not to want to get rid of one.
Be this as it may the local SPCA says that they accept iguanas, not to find them a new home but to euthanatize them. You can kill them yourself but it must be humane. If you shoot them with an air gun you need to be good and kill them with just one shot. Otherwise, it is considered inhumane. As for me I am still going to break for Iguanas. The road kill thing is just too messy.

No comments:

Post a Comment